Clearly he saw way more than I did of the town. But hey - someone has to work.
Then again he didn't have the same experience I did...experiencing the brainy, creative, techie mashup that is SXSW.
Some highlights:
- Henry Jenkins Keynote - my fav academic - who among other things discussed a book called Bowling Alone which made the argument that the 1950s and 60s damaged our society. Between corporate transfers, divorce, television, two-career families, suburban sprawl, generational changes in values created a breakdown in civil society as Americans became more disconnected from their families, neighbors, communities, and the republic itself. But the thing that's bringing it together again? The Internet. Regardless of all the naysayers who fear that it's isolating us.
- Meeting and networking with lots of people working in virtual worlds and social networks.
- Meeting people in person who I knew well through their blogs. A great experience and the best part about reading blogs. It all comes full circle when you meet in person.
- Going all around Austin with two four-foot tall WeeMees in tow. Makes quite an impression. More photos here.
I agree with Bob - I'll come back to Austin. It's got an amazing vibe.
1 comment:
I would have loved to have been in Austin for a lot of reasons (hey -- maybe you and I could have finally had that drink!), but I *especially* would have loved to hear Henry Jenkins talking about one of my favorite themes!
Post a Comment