This weekend I'm in Austin, Texas for the first time attending the South by Southwest Conference and Festival (SXSW).
On this blog I think I've already covered how I feel about Molly Ivins, and this is her old stomping grounds. So I'm walking in her footsteps while here. We're also lucky enough to be in the company of Susan O'Connor and Peter Grant . Two of the funniest, smartest people on the planet, they made it into my world through Bob, who worked with Susan at Atari. They are giving us a generous serving of Austin hospitality and hooplah.
Oh, by the way, Bob is here too. A rare collision of our professional/personal worlds has allowed us to be here at the same time - thanks to Dorothy who is holding down the home front in Boston. Last time we called home, it sounds like she's welcomed in a whole house of teen and 'tween friends of our boys - pizzas, sleepovers...the works. So I'm not sure Dylan and Drew will want us back. They're being spoiled by Auntie Ducie and even Mombo admits it...she has competition.
But for now, let me share the highlight of my day.
There I was standing in line at Kinkos. Making copies...
And next to me in line? Billy Gibbons, lead singer of ZZ Top.
I have to go right now because Bob and I have a date at the famous Broken Spoke where we plan to see Dale Watson tonight. So stay tuned for more detail on how I learned all about Billy Gibbons' 80 year old mother and how I got his autograph.
For now here's Billy at work...
2 comments:
One of my other favorite-must read every day- blogger is at that conference- "Dooce".
Did you get a chance to meet up with her?
No I did not meet up with Dooce. I have read her blog from time to time too. She's GREAT. I did meet other bloggers though. And I think that's when blogging comes full circle. It's great to meet in person.
Post a Comment