Monday, February 02, 2009

What do I make?

Tonight Dylan asked me, "Hey Mom! Do you know what a poetry slam is?"

Do I know what a poetry slam is?

I was at poetry slams back in the 80s when the movement was first starting. I did a bunch of poetry readings around Boston and part of my goal was to build up my courage to go to a poetry slam and try out my own stuff. Poetry slam is the standup of poetry. It's amazing. I never got there on my own - but always wished that I had tried.

So when Dylan asked me tonight I just said, "Yep. Do you?"

"Yes! And I've been wanting to show you this amazing guy - Taylor Mali."

So he brought his laptop over and we watched this.



Taylor Mali is an English teacher who cares deeply about what he does. Which is totally awesome. But a passionate English teacher who also does poetry slams? ...Bowing...I'm not worthy!!!

I love that Dylan loves this guy.

And I just love YouTube. We didn't have that in the 80s. And we also didn't have poetry slams in high school back then, like they do at Dylan's school. So cool!

No comments: