This is the kind of poem that would bring good to everyone who reads it. Like all good poetry, it takes you out of the day-to-day and helps you see things the way they really are. So even if you don't read poetry, try this one.
Trees
I am looking at trees
they may be one of the things I will miss
most from the earth
though many of the ones I have seen
already I cannot remember
and though I seldom embrace the ones I see
and have never been able to speak
with one
I listen to them tenderly
their names have never touched them
they have stood round my sleep
and when it was forbidden to climb them
they have carried me in their branches
"Trees" by W. S. Merwin, from The Compass Flower. © Macmillan Publishing Company.
3 comments:
You posted this on the day we had our friend Mark the tree genius climbing around in our oaks, ashes, and willows trimming out the dead and too-low, too-heavy branches. Our trees are our daily companions, giving us beautiful dappled shade, bird homes, and protection. They look so refreshed after Mark has done his work. They seem to thank us. We feel their spirits.
Mari wrote:
Love it! Will have to read him--just read a "Starfish" Poem by Mary Oliver that was a treat this morning while I waited for Ben at golf--"Trees" is one of those inspiring and moving poems too.
Trees do have a spirit. Which makes me feel bad since we're having the tree guy come soon to cut down seven giant pines in our side yard and replant 3 Bradford pears. The pines are huge, leaning dangerously and make a sticky mess but still, they're cool trees and I do love them. Naturally I feel guilty...last night when I went out there to take the garbage out I tried not to look them in the eye....
Post a Comment