Saturday, February 09, 2008

Growing up

When our kids were younger it was easy. We decided where to go and the kids came with us. Now it's not so easy.

They have opinions. They have commitments. They have - gasp! - girlfriends.

As a parent, that's your goal - getting them launched. And I'm glad they've got their own lives.

But I do miss that ability to just throw everyone in the car and take off.

Having the house up North has been great for carving out family time. Now the trick is to coordinate everyone's schedules so we can get there all together more often.

Today I'm looking at the snow outside my window and wishing we were all in the van driving up North. But instead, I'll be driving kids to rehearsal. Making a project for school. Doing the grocery shopping. And the bills. And the laundry.

Sigh.

But, I have to take the long view. When Dylan started high school, Mema called me and said two things I'll never forget. One - it will all go very fast now. And two - invite all their friends over and stay involved in their lives.

And she's right. It's already going too fast. Drew will be 12 this month.

Before I know it my boys will be grown.

So today I'll go work on that school project and do what now seems like the unending loads of laundry and the endless grocery shopping.

I'll enjoy my love notes. And put away some of the things I want to do for now.

No comments: