Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Pools

The key to traveling with kids is a good pool. And on this trip we found some great ones. I think this one at the Chateau Frontenac is the most beautiful pool in a city hotel I've ever seen.

If you ask the kids about places they've stayed, they think of the pools. Though now that Dylan is 13, the history of the places we go and cruising around experiencing new things now ranks higher than the pool. Drew's not quite there yet at 10. But he's a good traveler and will tolerate a fair amount of "poking around." But pools still rule the day. They're the place you go to chill out and get ready for the next round of action.

2 comments:

Dorothy said...

Years ago, your Mother and I were taken on almost annual treks to the shrines in Canada by Mom and Aunt Kitty. They kept us relatively quiet by promising that we would stay at motels with pools.
One day, unable to find one, we were directed to a Chateau which had a pool. We arrived after dark.
This was the first time we had stayed at such a place...a hotel!
I'm sure it was expensive! Next day Ann and I got up,jumped into our bathing suits and dashed outside to the pool...only to find it empty!! I wonder if this was the same Chauteau?

Molly said...

What a great story!!! I wonder if it was the Frontenac. It's an absolutely huge hotel - more of a fortress/castle. Interesting thing - it was built by the Canadian Pacific Railroad along with many other hotels, including that other gorgeous castle in Banff. They were built as a way to encourage people to travel and tour throughout Canada. Now they're owned by the Fairmont and they're still stunning. Dad said it best about the Canadian Pacific Railway...unlike the U.S. railroads, the CPR understood that it wasn't in the railroad business, it was in the travel and transportation business.