The paper is now delivered by grown men with Brazilian names driving cars.
The Globe used to be fat with news, job listings and ads. Back before Monster.com and worldwide economic crises the Sunday jobs section was bigger that today's Sunday Globe. There used to be columns and columns of original journalistic fare. But round after round of Globe layoffs, including yours truly, have further shortened the column inches or replaced Boston-authored copy with syndicated fill. Today's Globe is a pamphlet of its former self.
Even so, paging through the Globe each day is such a long standing ritual at our house, we still subscribe.
Each morning the paperman drives over another thin, emaciated Boston Globe and deposits it on my lawn in a bag I will use for dog poop.
So today I walked out to pick up my pamphlet and was greeted by news of another local media outlet going to the dogs...

The Rock of Boston, WBCN, is over? The radio station that we lived down the street from, right next to Fenway Park? The one that broke bands like U2, Elvis Costello, The Cars and 'Til Tuesday- whose band members lived right in our apartment building in Boston? The station that broadcasts the Patriots and used to broadcast Howard Stern? The one that, well, used to be, at least, a fixture in Boston? Gone?
Well yes. Kind of. Not really. Yeah.
The station website says that BCN lives on. That they're moving it exclusively to the Internet, and broadcasting it not on 104.1 (which now becomes all sports talk station), but on 98.5 which used to be called Mix 98.5. And stuff about upgrading to HD format.
Whatever.
I guess I'll go take the dog for a walk so I can add more crap to the pile.
No comments:
Post a Comment