I didn't want to write about Pops too much when he was sick.I didn't want him to read this blog, which he loved, and find it was about how sick he was or how sad we were to think of the world without him in it. About much we'd miss his smile, his walk, his whistling and singing. And those sly grins. And those big hard laughs where he'd shake his head and wipe tears from his eyes.
We all know more than we say, more than we write down.
And that's probably why I never could delete this message left on our voicemail way back in October.
Now, keep in mind, each of his 13 grandchildren and 6 kids and all their husbands and wives have had these messages or calls on each of their birthdays....every one of us, every birthday. That's just the way that Mema and Papa roll.
I can't even begin to say how thankful I am for every birthday message. Every kiss on the cheek. Every conversation in the kitchen while making dinner. Every walk. Every dance. Every laugh.
Every moment Pops will always be there for me, for all of us...singing.
5 comments:
cry....laugh...cry...wipe eye
Thanks for putting the birthday song up there Mol. I miss his voice so much. I also missed his singing to me on Monday. Donna
Oh Donna - makes me cry of your bday without Papa's song. Glad you got away to Bahamas after all this epic life stuff.
Mol, your post made me cry... must be the Welch in me.
I really missed the singing on my birthday too.
At least I still got a card that was filled to capacity with confetti (and had $1 in it!) -- Thanks Memz!
cry, smile, cry, cry. I miss that happy voice!
Post a Comment