Wednesday, August 27, 2008

History Made

It's been 88 years since women got the right to vote.

It's been 45 years since Martin Luther King's "I have a dream" speech.

And tonight the Democrats nominated the first African American Presidential candidate. And an incredible woman who nearly got the nomination instead of him, led the charge to nominate him. Did you hear the most amazing speech of Hillary's career last night? Regardless of your party, watch it.

Today I'm proud to be an American. America doesn't belong to Republicans. It doesn't belong to Democrats. It belongs to all of us. We love our country because it allows us to tell the truth to power.

Did you hear Bill Clinton just now on the convention floor?

JFK famously said "Don't ask what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country."

But tonight Bill Clinton said the equally memorable "People have always been more impressed with the power of our example, than by the example of our power."

Here are the squandered uses of our power for the last 8 years...

Iraq. Guantanamo. Unspeakable torture. Secret prisons around the world. The squandering of our best moment - following Sept 11 - when the world was with us, but we went after Iraq - unconnected to 9/11 and built on lies about weapons of mass destruction - and Bush said "you're either with us or against us." Then came the loss of Constitutional Rights. The biggest deficit in our history. The right for the government to legally imprison us without any cause (did you know that is now the law of the land?). How about turning our back on the global fight against global warming? And the free card for Haliburton and Black Hawk. Record revenues - 4 TRILLION in the last 5 years alone - for oil companies with no guarantees for changing our energy strategy. Education initiatives that were championed by the Republicans - BUT WENT UNFUNDED by Republicans. Unprecedented home foreclosures. Unprecedented risk for retired people. Unprecedented movement of American families to poverty. The ignoring of our health care crisis while lining the pockets of health care and insurance industries. Did I go on long enough?

Now is the time. While I have respect for McCain's service to our country, all I can say is I know what we will get if we elect him. More of the last 8 years.

ENOUGH.

Onward to the future our children deserve.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I listened to Obama's speech last night and then read this this morning. Even though you wrote it before he spoke, the sentiment and even some of the wording is eerily similar. And you/he were right - 8 is enough.

Obama/Biden '08

Molly said...

That means a lot coming from you Scott. We need more non-traditional democrats to join the cause. I don't buy that this will be a tight race, as the polls indicate. But we can't take chances. We all need to get out the vote. There are millions of people who never vote because they are so disillusioned. Time to wake them up. We've got a real leader at last.