This is one of the many cups of tea I had during my trip to Glasgow and London last week. I have come away from the trip saying everything is "brilliant!" In the U.S. you would say "brilliant" every time you would otherwise say "awesome!"Glasgow was chilly but welcoming. It's the Buffalo of the UK. A former industrial great, it's now in the midst of remaking itself. On one block, a church turned modern art museum. On the next, it's a bunch of drunken guys at a gambling joint placing bets on rugby matches.
We had a great time watching people on our first day. Unselfconscious, larger than life, we delighted in the Scots pushing the edge of some very funky fashion trends. We sipped cappucinos at a Starbucks that served Cheese and Marmite Paninis and watched the parade. I have tried Marmite. I did not attempt to eat it again.
I worked hard and got to know the wonderful people at WeeWorld better. I feel very blessed. I really love the company. And we're making some very cool stuff that will be launching soon...Mid-week we were on to the posh district off Oxford Street where our London offices are located. Such a contrast. So cultured. So perfectly metropolitan. So civilized.

My new friend and co-worker Lexie took me out one night to a private club called The Hospital. I live in a really clubby town...I think I've covered that before. So it's saying a lot when I say that this is the first club I've ever been to, that I wanted to join.
The Hospital is a great concept founded by the Eurythmics’ Dave Stewart and Microsoft’s Paul Allen.The seven-story building was, yes, once a hospital. It comprises (take a deep breath now) TV, film and recording studios, an art gallery, restaurant and private members’ club complete with three bars, a cinema, library, apartment and private dining room.
It's a private club for people involved in media and the arts. They screen movies and provide business networking for artists and creatives. They have writing groups, book clubs, film clubs, movie clubs, and host nights dedicated to everything from Salsa to legal issues around protecting your copyright to fashion and psychics.Lexie took me to a Sake tasting. It turns out I like Junmai Daiginjo Akashi-tai the best. Who knew?
1 comment:
Hi Maura
I love being part of your blog! Very glad you were able to make it to the Saki tasting - script reading next time you're in town?
Bests,
Lexie
Post a Comment